May is Global Civility Awareness Month as set forth in Chase’s Calendar of Events. Here are 31 practical ways you can celebrate civility.
1. Say ‘thank you’ at least 5 times. Begin with your family.
2. Be a good listener by making eye contact and being present in every conversation.
3. Smile when you answer the telephone.
4. Hold the door open for the person behind you.
5. Allow another shopper to go ahead of you in line.
6. Drive the speed limit and use your turn signals.
7. Arrive 3 minutes early to every appointment.
8. Volunteer to help a co-worker, family member or friend when not expected.
9. Last to use the toilet paper, copy paper or other item? Replace it.
10. After washing your hands, wipe down sink area.
11. Sincerely acknowledge another’s effort.
12. Elevate your visual image. Dress as though you will meet a very important person.
13. Clean up after your pet.
14. Compliment 5 people.
15. Refrain from checking or using your smart phone when with others.
16. Write 2 thank you notes.
17. Speak well of every person.
18. Place full attention on wait staff as they take and deliver your order.
19. Keep hotel room tidy. Thank the chambermaid with a tip and thank you note.
20. Return all phone calls promptly.
21. Smile at those you pass.
22. Wait to begin eating until everyone has been served.
23. Assist someone in a public place that you don’t know.
24. Keep your comments positive.
25. Return your shopping cart to the designated area.
26. Call someone you have not talked to in a while to see how they are doing.
27. Show genuine interest in those you encounter.
28. Yield the right-of-way to a harried driver.
29. Return items to their proper place after you use them.
30. When making a request, ask, don’t tell.
31. Be kind to yourself.
Civility Begins at Home
©2014 What Would Mrs King Do? If you would like to use this article in your newsletter or blog, you may do so. Please include our credit information: Written by Deborah King, What Would Mrs King Do? © Copyright 2014. I would also appreciate it if you would send us a copy for our files to [email protected]